4 Ways that Astrology can Practically Improve Your Life
Astrology is an enigma. Many people write it off as superstitious pseudoscience, often with good reason. After all pop astrology and watered-down weekly horoscopes are not illustrious examples of the depth and precision of analysis that is available to the skilled astrologer.
I’m not sure how many people realize and appreciate the incredible impact that astrology has had on modern thought; it’s truly staggering. Let’s explore a very brief list:
- Holidays we celebrate – Indeed most of our holidays, such as Easter and Christmas, were co-opted by Christians from astrological belief systems
- Days of the week – Monday/Moon’s day; Tuesday/Mars’ day; Wednesday; Mercury’s day; and so on
- Bible – the bible is JAM PACKED with astrological allusion. For example, the three wise men who arrived to greet Jesus were astrologers and based on their astrological analyses, they were some of the first people to know – based on their interpretation of the sky – that a king had been born!
- Geometry, mathematics, and philosophy are intricately embedded with the observation of heavenly bodies
Once a person starts getting interested in astrology, they bump into the question: how does it work? Why would the movement of heavenly objects influence or dare I say, cause earthly events?
I’ll let you in on a secret: it doesn’t matter! The burning need to understand the mechanism through which our lives are connected to greater cycles of movement and time is divine - I believe we should all ask ourselves these types of questions. But, if you are interested in practically applying the wisdom of astrology to your daily life, you don’t need the mechanism. You can simply explore astrology from a fool’s perspective: fresh eyes and an open mind.
In my small and humble astrological journey, I’ve noticed at least 4 ways that astrology brings light and understanding into people’s lives:
- By far, the most common piece of feedback I receive after reading someone’s astrology chart is that the person feels affirmed. The individual feels, sometimes for the very first time, that someone has clearly seen and acknowledged their total uniqueness. That a sequence of steps and a system of knowledge can be applied to a small set of data and produce such a rich picture of a person is both inspiring and comforting.
- Astrology provides incredibly vivid imagery, descriptive language, and relevant mythology to animate the human experience. Imagining yourself as a combination of primordial elements or inserting yourself into the lover’s drama of Mars & Venus can remove some of the super personal and rather isolating ways that we often relate to our reality. When people inject themselves into an ancient and colorful system of knowledge, they receive a gorgeously rich language through which to describe and explain themselves. Playing in the grand drama increases our ability to respond to life with a sense of humour.
- Astrology offers us an ability to reconnect to the wisdom inherent in nature and her cycles of time. Events in the sky have a very real impact on our ability to grow food and find shelter. Paying attention to the movements of heavenly bodies reinserts a person into their natural world, which gives you powerful tools to plan and organize your life and activities according to fluctuations in the quality of time and space.
- Defining your purpose. No astrologer can simply tell you what your life purpose is because this is a highly personal set of beliefs and desires. What astrology can do though, is give you an idea of your strengths and challenges. An honest examination of yourself through the lens of your birth chart can assist you in revealing which path works best for you at different times in your life. Astrology can point to what is alive for you, right now.
This is not an exhaustive list but it's a good start. These days, I’m feeling inspired to share the curious depths of astrological insight, so if you’d like to learn more, consider signing up for the upcoming spring workshop or book a consultation!
Blessings on your stellar journey.
***Blog art found on Tumblr; artist unknown. Let me know if it's yours and if I should remove or credit it***